Update from Mike Rowney

Posted by Ralph | 12:41 PM

Mike is such a great guy, sailing around Australia for a charity that provides kids in poverty stricken areas with wheelchairs. He sent me an e-mail yesterday saying:

Hi Ralph

Sorry it’s been a while but I have been busy. I set off last April to travel back to my boat in Darwin. To hopefully set off for Timor, and to physically distribute some wheelchairs myself, However first a cyclone and then I got lucky and the cyclone changed course. Rioting broke out in Dili, East Timor, my destination, and marshal law was declared. So I went down to a pearl farm in north west Australia and did my first three months as a pearl technician.

Then finally in September 2006 I set sail for Timor-5 days later I sank my anchor into Dili mud. I had a great experience as a paraplegic, experiencing the third world but more so giving twenty kids a chair. I have attached a couple of pics of my adventure.


Right now I am back in Australia and hope to return to Timor in March 2006 with another container laid of wheelchairs.

Keep well,

Mike Rowney



Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge

Here is a (link) to an interview I did with with Mike right before the IFDS World Disabled Sailing Championshipo in Perth, AUS last year.

Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To RedditAdd To FacebookAdd To Yahoo